Technological innovations are transforming what people do, how work is performed, and the subjective work experience.
Smartphones have expanded work across time and space, often eliminating traditional boundaries between work and non-work/family.
In healthcare, the application of new information technologies is forging new patterns of teamwork and pacing.
New robotic technologies are modifying the knowledge and skills attentional demands required for job performance.
The Center highlights the need to understand how new tools and systems affect learning, social relations, decision-making, and job attitudes. Understanding the impact of new workplace technologies on people also has important implications for career development and worker well-being. Research topics of interest include, for example:
- How changes in technology, workspaces, and always-on demands affect work-nonwork conflicts, work attitudes, and job stress.
- How changes associated with human factors engineering affect decision-making, engagement, and innovation.
- The features of new work architectures that spur creativity, innovation, and health.
Related WSC Content
- Network Research Highlight: Batch Your Smartphone NotificationsBy: Keaton Fletcher Work Science Center Network member, Kostadin Kushlev, recently set … Continue reading “Network Research Highlight: Batch Your Smartphone Notifications”
- How to Use LinkedIn for HiringBy: Keaton Fletcher Social Media, specifically LinkedIn, has played an increasingly important … Continue reading “How to Use LinkedIn for Hiring”
- WSC Network Research Highlight: The Social Price of SmartphonesBy: Keaton Fletcher Smartphones have become pervasive. Work Science Center Network Member, … Continue reading “WSC Network Research Highlight: The Social Price of Smartphones”
- Mapping Signs of Trust in RobotsBy: Cathy Liu Advancements in automation in the workplace have created opportunities … Continue reading “Mapping Signs of Trust in Robots”
- Robot-Assisted Surgeries: Technology Changing Team DynamicsBy: Pooja Juvekar & Keaton Fletcher The introduction of new technology to the workplace … Continue reading “Robot-Assisted Surgeries: Technology Changing Team Dynamics”
- Technology and EmotionsBy: Keaton Fletcher As the role of technology in the workplace increases, … Continue reading “Technology and Emotions”